Sunday, October 8, 2017

Weekly Investment 7 - Rubrics? What?

I hate assessments, but I LOVE rubrics. I can complete most assignments well if I have a rubric. Why? Because I know EXACTLY what my instructor is looking for if their rubric is clear. If their rubric is clear, I would almost just take the rubric over the instructions for the assignment. It tells me what I need to know and what I am being graded on. People of all ages want clear and accurate directions that are easy to follow - A.K.A. a Rubric.

I also feel that rubrics create consistency for the teacher. It takes opinion out of the equation and helps the teacher/instructor to stay on task when grading many of the same assignments. As much as a rubric gives the student guidance, it also gives the teacher guidance - when teaching the material and when grading.

What I did not know before this reading was the different types of rubrics and I learned some things I would think to use a rubric for - like class participation. ASCD has a published book all about rubric, but also has some nice guidelines online. Is the rubric holistic or analytic; general or task-specific? It lays this information out in a nice table seen here:




I personally like task-specific and analytic rubrics, but I think there is a place for all of them. For example, if you are writing a rubric for a whole unit, it may need to be more general than for a specific assignment. General rubrics can be handed to students at the beginning of an assignment, while task-specific rubrics function more as "scoring direction."

While I see myself using task-specific rubrics more often, I can now see the need for a general rubric. "Rubrics help teachers teach…rubrics help students learn." I said earlier that rubrics can help teachers stay consistent and this doesn't just go with grading - but also in the classroom. Furthermore, it helps students to look ahead and see what you may be building up to, which will help them to organize their learning in your classroom. I am interested in taking some more time to look into this and maybe read the full book!

 References: 


Brookhart, S. (n.d.). Chapter 1. What are Rubrics and Why are they Important?Retrieved October 8, 2017, from http://www.ascd.org/publications/books/112001/chapters/What-Are-Rubrics-and-Why-Are-They-Important%C2%A2.aspx

Stoughton, A.L. & Myers, B.E. (2008) Creating and working with rubricsView in a new window. Retrieved from https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/WC/WC06900.pdf (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
 (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.

10 comments:

  1. Karlie, I love all of the points that you make about rubrics. I too find them super easy to use and I also like how I can continuously look back at what is expected instead of trying to remember all of what my professors told me about the assignment. I notice that your blog messed up your table! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Karlie! Before this week's reading, I had no idea there were different types of rubrics! But it makes sense that there are holistic, analytic, and then task-specific and generic formats. It all depends on what you want them to learn. The point you made about rubrics acting as a guide for students is spot on. What are some ways you can give students autonomy while using a rubric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe for some projects or activities we can let students make their own rubrics - or even give them choices within the rubrics! Something to look into for sure!

      Delete
  3. Hi Karlie! I LOVE the points you make on rubrics. Honestly, I don’t know where i’d be without a rubric and I feel that all students should have access to rubrics as a form of guidance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karlie, I love rubrics too and used them all the time with my students. Unfortunately, your blog distorted the table you made about the types of rubrics, so it was difficult to see. What are some ways that you see yourself using rubrics during your student teaching internship?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have already created a rubric for a project the horticulture class will be doing!

      Delete
  5. I will admit that I was reluctant about using rubrics...but now I love them!
    They come in very handy in floral design class!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone for all the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karlie,

    I agree with everything you said! I love rubrics for the exact reason you said. It gives students and the teacher an exact item to look for. It also helps remove the opinion factor from influencing the grade. When goals are defined in detail, with the levels clearly defined, it helps prevent against grade variation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since I am certified to teach CASE NRE, I LOVE rubrics. It clearly outlines the expectations for students. Thus, if everyone followed the provided rubric and it is thoroughly put together, every student would have the potential to get an A.

    ReplyDelete