Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Micro-Teaching Reflection Blog


Last week I was fortunate enough to teach 3 days of lessons at Bald Eagle High School. I taught lessons on soil nutrients and fertilizer. I thought my first day went really well with great feedback from Mr. Biddle. I used a power point and use of a couple activities - including a nutrient activity asking students where plants get their nutrients from and an activity to help students realize what pH different substances were. My lesson also included an interest approach and bellwork that asked students what they thought soil nutrients were and then the interest approach was a video that helped to define soil nutrients further.

Day 2 could have went a little better. It was a good lab about pH and soil pH, but would have been much better if it was split into 2 days with more summarizing activities. The first part of the activity was to help the students better understand pH in general, so they tested the pH of several different liquids with pH test strips. Second, I taught the students how to use the Cornell pH test it. I wish I would have spend more time on this and done a 3 step demonstration with the students - teacher says, teacher does; teacher says, student does; student says, student does. On my feedback forms, a couple of students commented that they had trouble getting the pH indicator separated out of the tray. More time for a proper demonstration would have solved this.

The third day was the review and the quiz. For the quiz I used some techniques we used in 412 for our quiz. After most of the students were complete with their quizzes, I allowed them to use their notes for two minutes. After the end of the two minutes, I gave them about one minute to finish their thoughts and then let them ask someone beside them one question. This seemed to go over well with the students and they did well on the quiz. While the review and quiz went well, I had about 3 or 4 minutes left at the end that I could have managed better.While they were taking their quiz we passed back some papers Mr. Biddle had for them. Many of the students were looking at these after they finished their quizzes and I lost control of the room and was not able to gain it back.

Please take a look at my video on Edthena or here!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5RD0r5Ah2I


 

1 comment:

  1. Karlie, so glad this was a positive experience for you! I'm also happy to see that you utilized some of the instructional and assessment techniques that we learned in 412. If you could go back, what other methods would you have used?

    ReplyDelete