Thursday, November 9, 2017

IBI - Lab Reflection


I think my first chance at an Inquiry Based Unit of instruction went okay, however (like after every lab), there several things that I would change about it.

First things first - I would connect it to Ag. While I was completing the lab, I realized I should have done a better job connecting the lab to Agriculture. My first thought about how to do this would be to include it in a bio-fuels unit in a biotechnology class. The pressure inside the balloon is comparable to the fuel. When the fuel is ignited (in this case the pressure is released) the balloon will be forced down the string according to Newton's laws. While it is as stretch, this could be a fun enrichment activity during a bio-fuels unit on a shorter day to build upon their knowledge and relate it to another industry.

This brings me to my second change - data. While my worksheet had a place for them for record observations and data, and then analyze and conclude, I think that it would be better to give them a specific set of data to record in this case instead of letting them decide. Or maybe give them choice? For example, they could measure how far their balloons go or how fast they go.

Finally, my last change would be to have them write procedures. Not only would they design their rockets but they would also write a procedure for how they are going to test it and collect their data. How are you going to design an experiment to test how far your rocket goes or how fast it gets there. When my tired brain was first trying to think of this lesson, I was thinking of them making "procedures" for building their rockets. The procedures that came with my experiment were:
           1. Tie one end of a string to a chair, doorknob, or other support.
           2. Put the other end of the string through a straw. Then pull the string tight, and tie it to another support in the room.
           3. Blow up the balloon, and pinch the end of the balloon to keep the air inside. Do not tie the balloon.
           4. Have a partner tape the balloon to the straw so that the opening of the balloon is horizontal with the ground, while you keep the air pinched inside the balloon.
           5. Have your partner use the marker to draw a finish line near the end of the string. Then, let go of the balloon and observe!

I feel as though it would be better to give students these procedures of how to make a rocket. Then have them design procedures to test the distance or speed. After students have their hypothesis and procedure to test the data for a simple rocket they could then take it a step farther. They could re-design their rocket to try to get it to go farther or faster and test a new hypothesis.

To tie it all together the students could research which would go make a rocket go faster or farther - fossil fuels or bio-fuels (if we hadn't done it in class) and then assign each of their balloon designs to whether or not they were powered with fossil or bio-fuels.


3 comments:

  1. Karlie, I just finished watching your lab video. Don't be so hard on yourself! I think we all felt the struggle as we had to fit IBI in 20 minutes. There is only so much that you can do in that short period and its easy to miss some of the small details when aiming to reach those bigger goals. We'll get better! (Even though we really did NOT do a bad job!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karlie, having students design their own protocols is a great way to encourage critical thinking and more engagement. For data, you could incorporate additional thinking by asking them to apply what they observe to prior or additional knowledge (ex. in this lab, they could calculate velocity of their rocket by recording its speed and distance). I really like your idea to connect this activity to biofuels!

    ReplyDelete