Tuesday, September 26, 2017

1st Unit Plan - So much editing

So I just got done with my thousandth draft of my 1st unit plan. I have wrote, re-wrote, re-organized, re-re-organized, and contemplated. And repeated that process. I feel like I am still trying to squeeze a whole bunch of stuff into a little bit of time, but I am not sure how to shorten it anymore.

I feel very overwhelmed when starting a unit plan - and maybe it is because I started this one mostly from scratch with help from a textbook. I did not really use a "borrowed" unit plan or lesson plan, because I really like soils and thought this would be a good unit to really dive into (plus I did not like ones that I found). It was really hard to wrap my head around and figure out at first. I think I have a better grasp on it now that we have learned more of the information in class - like writing objectives properly. I think the next 20 unit plans should get easier! (At least I hope!)

I would really appreciate any tips or suggestions! I would be happy to email the document to anyone that would like to provide feedback for me 😊

11 comments:

  1. I would like to tell you that all of the paperwork goes away when you start teaching in a public school....BUT that would lying to you.
    Just this morning I have filled out IEP forms, did lesson plans and entered grades.
    I promise you will learn to MULTI TASK and DELEGATE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WE WILL GET THIS!!! The only way to get better is to keep trying and practicing and writing and revising! I am sure you love for soils will shine through!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karlie,
    I look forward to seeing your Unit Plan (and it might be good idea to try to figure out how to link it to this blog post...google documents?)

    I would like to see this blog post reflect what type of feedback you received from your peers and what actions/revisions you made due to that feedback from peers! I look forward to reading this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dr. Foster!

      I tried to figure out how to get it to upload, but had no luck! The biggest change I made to my unit plan based on my feedback were my objectives. Since I wrote the plan before we really learned about objectives, I did not have any type of evaluation in with them. Also, I had some suggestions about adding some CDE's to my FFA integration!

      Delete
  4. I agree, unit plans are a little overwhelming to say the least!! I read through your unit plan last night and I think you have some really fun and educational lessons planned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karlie, unit plans are definitely overwhelming at first, but they do get easier to create with time and practice. Which elements of your unit plan were the most challenging for you? Which were the most successful? I'm also happy to provide feedback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Morey,

      Thank you for always being willing to help us! The hardest part of the unit plan for me was figuring out what order to teach everything in and then fitting in fun activities too. For this particular unit, the easiest part was my unit evaluation because Mrs. Hoover and I had already talked about using a Land Use Project as their final evaluation and their FFA Week Project.

      Delete