Thursday, September 14, 2017

Fort Cherry - 1st Day of School!


The meet and greet:
Yesterday, during my first day of school lab, I chose to meet and greet everyone at the door to introduce myself. This is definitely something that I enjoyed doing and would keep as part of my lesson plan. I feel that it is a good way to see how each student is doing and to see how there day is going before they walk into my classroom. (Mental Note! Don't forget to close the door!!)

The bellwork:
I do think I would change my bellwork. I think I would hand them notecards when they came in the room and have them write 3 things they want me to know about them on it and 1 thing they want to know about me. This way when I collect the cards I have a stack of things I now know about the students and things they may want to know about me. I can then take this knowledge and maybe incorporate it into my classroom throughout the semester. I also think that I would go over my objectives first before going into the rest of the class. 

Who is Mrs. Wright and what does she want from me:
In my classroom, I would spend a little more time talking about me and making connections with the students earlier before I talked about the classroom procedures and expectations. After this I would lead into students searching the classroom to find my expectations and procedures. (Also, I need to add that I would make sure I remembered where I hid all of the note cards, there is still one hanging out in Ferguson 214 somewhere.) I feel that this helps to get the students more involved in the class instead of me just telling them a list of do's and don'ts they have heard on their first day of school for their entire life.

The Connection:

In my full lesson plan, I have a activity planned to play a game where I can get to know a little about the students and they can know a little more about their peers. This game will help show how different we can be and how similar we can be. This game will help lead into my first unit with this class on soil. Students "ticket outs" were to think about and write down their definition of soil. I like this because it helps get them ready for the next day when we will be diving into the basics of soil science. 

3 comments:

  1. The first day sets the tone. It sounds like you had some good strategies to introduce yourself and the course to the students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karlie, I also watched your 1st day video. you have some good thoughts throughout this lesson good job! I like your idea of the bellwork and being able to use it throughout your teaching year. I believe this would help the students see that you care about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karlie, I really like how you broke your lesson down piece by piece and reflected on each. Remember to give yourself some credit for the things you did well, though, and be sure to blog about them too! Not only do we want to help you to become the best Ag teacher you can be by assisting you with bettering the skills you want to improve on, but we also want to be able to celebrate your successes with you as well.

    ReplyDelete