Sunday, February 4, 2018

Week 4: Learning on the Go


I have learned so much this week - about myself and my teaching style.

I have learned that while I thought having all my lesson plans for my first 6 weeks done ahead of time was super nice - and it is - it also means I have forgotten what materials I have and pretty much have to redo them anyway. I have also had to adjust a lot. Things have taken way longer than I have planned. I really need to work on timing. Mrs. Hoover and I have also had to rework some things to ensure plenty of time for students to get their FFA Week projects done. This has resulted in me cutting out some lessons I had planned.



This week students worked on posters for the 1st paragraph of the Creed!

After FFA week, I think I will be able to reset and make some more adjustments when I do my planning week by week. I also need to get better at interest approaches. This is something I struggled with last semester and still do. Coming up with them is really hard for me and ones that I think are really good, my students hate. If they do like it, it takes way longer then I had planned for which pushed things over. 
Its really hard to learn about soil horizons sitting in the classroom - it reached 40 degrees so we went outside instead!



Furthermore, I have one class that I have twice a day that I think I will need to plan for separately. Just two complete opposite classes and I think one of those two classes needs push more than the second. At the very least I need to build in extra “flex time” activities for them to help them grow more. 



There was a great Twitter tip I saw this weekend too about using google calendar to organize your materials for your lessons. I cannot wait to start trying it!!

I think these things are all fixable and I need to be aware of them, reflect on them, and act on them. I am looking forward to the next few weeks!

When its your prep period and there are baby guinea pigs!

2 comments:

  1. Karlie, thanks for sharing so many great pictures of your adventures this week, as well as your reflections on the planning process GoogleCalendar is an amazing tool for lesson planning and organization, and it also works well for posting homework assignments for multiple classes. CoP and Illinois Ag in the Classroom have some great resources for interest approaches if you want to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karlie,

    Great pictures that capture your week! I like the fact that you are seeing how to adjust and be flexible, while trying new technology to be the best organized teacher you can be. I look forward to seeing you this week!
    -Dr. Ewing

    ReplyDelete