Sunday, February 4, 2018

Interviewing Practice


This week I able to interview with Fort Cherry superintendent - Dr. Jill Jacoby. The interview lasted about 20 minutes. Here are some of my thoughts!
 

  1. Dr. Jacoby asked me the following questions:
    1. Tell me why you are interested in this position.
    2. Give 3 examples of instructional strategies would you use to enhance learning within your Vocational Agriculture Program.
    3. What strategies would you utilize with identified students within your program?
    4. What tools would you use to assess and evaluate student achievement and success within your program?
    5. Given a minute each, what comes to mind when you hear these words:
      1. 21st Century
      2. Performance based learning/Competency Based
      3. College and Career Ready
      4. Digital Native
      5. Disruptive Technology
      6. Blended or Flipping
    6. What is your most favorite children's book?
  2. I felt prepared to answer most of the questions and had a pretty well thought out and consistent answer for everything. I was a little nervous, but I don't think that came through. Dr. Jacoby gave me really good feedback about my interview and said if she was really interviewing me, I would be moving on to the next round.
  3. I asked Dr. Jacoby general questions that were mostly about how I interviewed and my professional portfolio. She gave me some tips to how to reorganize my portfolio and things to change or add. She suggested handing it to the interviewers towards the beginning of the interview so they can pass it around and look at it. When I talked to Dr. Jacoby about questions she thought should be asked, she said very little. She mentioned she expects procedural questions and timing questions, but not much else. She does not like it when someone comes to an interview and tried to interview them with a bunch of questions.
  4. I am impressed with how well I answered the questions and composed that I stayed.
  5. I really do not know how to answer what I am least impressed about. There are some things that I have Dr. Jacoby likes to see that are the opposite of what I have heard before. For example, putting my references on my resume and not asking the interviewer too many questions. This makes it hard for me because now I am unsure if I should make these changes or not. What will someone else want to see?
  6. I need to work on slowing down before my next interview. I talk fast and I need to remember to pace myself. I also need to be finish adding something to my portfolio, such as, pictures and student work. 

1 comment:

  1. Karlie,

    Great job on reflecting on the interview. I know this experience, along with future interviewing experiences in the program, you will be ready for the "real thing" in a few short months (or sooner)!
    -Dr. Ewing

    ReplyDelete