Sunday, February 11, 2018

Week 5: Making Adjustments


                 I really felt for my ability to adapt thi week. We had one delay and one cancellation this week, but we are on a tight schedule to get project done for National FFA Week. In Horticulture, we started an erosion project last Friday that ran over into Monday/Tuesday because of the delay. However, we were anticipating the cancellation on Wednesday, Therefore, I put the erosion projects on hold and introduced students to their land use projects. I am really glad a did this because it allowed the class to be flexible the rest of the week for cancellations and a planned junior class field trip on Thursday. 


















I continued to be flexible with my introduction to agriculture class and get them started on their projects earlier as well because we were doing Creed projects. This allowed me to be able to have the students work on their Career projects when they finished. I think my general "go with the flow" demeanor and ability to look and think ahead (most of the time), I think really helps with flexibility in the classroom. 

                 I think I really need to work on my summarizing techniques and doing more ticket outs to help with that. I think this has to do with my organization of the classroom - starting class with information then going to a lab or activity. I frequently start too loos kids towards the end of class when they are checking on their animals and finishing assignments for the day. I need to get better at this management aspect. Maybe stop class a few minutes sooner to have them check on animals and then have them come back to the room at a specific time to wrap up and summarize. 

                 I think I am finding my "angry" voice, but it still needs work. A lot of work. I just need to get angry when students aren't following directions. When I am angry, my voice works; however, generally I am not angry and it takes a lot to get me there. If you have suggestions, I am open to your opinions because I truly think this is my biggest downfall right now.  

                 In general, this week was busy and a blur - but I am looking forward to next week and always getting better! 

2 comments:

  1. Karlie,

    It is all about continuous improvement. I look forward to my visit this week (weather is looking decent), and I will be sure to watch for the concepts that you shared in this week's blog to see how I can provide insight for improvement.
    -Dr. Ewing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karlie, a sense of flexibility is key, and it's great that you are using it to your advantage! Ending class with a sense of reflection and closure is important. What else can you use for summarizing activities besides exit tickets?

    ReplyDelete