Sunday, March 18, 2018

Week 10: Making my own path.



As week 10 comes to close, I feel pretty good about the week on a whole. My new method for bellwork seemed to be a success, which made me feel really good. We had a lot of really great discussions in the classes and students' seemed to get a lot out of them. Thoughtful questions were asked and answered and student became more aware of the industry around them.

Not to "toot my own horn", but most of my lessons were a success this week. Students seemed to be engaged in everything while answering questions with thought and ease. There was also more discussions in my classes.

During my last unit in Vet Science, I gave my students time to study their vocabulary and this did not go well. Therefore, on Monday when we started the new unit, I let them know that on Wednesday we would be playing a review game with the vocab to give them a couple of days to study. Unfortunately, the students were pulled from class on Wednesday, but we did this activity on Thursday instead. The students were split in to two teams and we played Taboo. One student was put in the hot seat while the others faced them. I would stand behind the students in the hot seat and show their teammates a vocabulary word or definition. Then the teams would have to get the person in the hot seat to guess that word without telling them. They really got into it and seemed to love the game.



Also, I learned the true meaning of flexibility. The cuttings for the greenhouse came early and I had not planned for that for the week. Mrs. Hoover and I decided it would be best to split the time. So I got students started in the classroom and then she took them out to the greenhouse to plant the cuttings on Monday. Tuesday we followed the same pattern. Wednesday, we didn't have class because the were pulled out, unexpectedly and Friday, a speaker came to talk about the students about a possible internship opportunity. The students loved it and received                                                                        some free milk!



 



2 comments:

  1. Glad everything is going well. I like the fact that you got to experience another opportunity to show your flexibility and provide a great learning experience for your students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karlie, it is good to see you reflecting on your lessons that didn't go as you planned and finding ways to turn them in to successes that are fun and engaging for your students. What were some of the things that you did to make your bell work more successful? It was great to see you at SLLC yesterday!

    ReplyDelete