Sunday, March 25, 2018

Week 11: The long, short week.





This week was SLLC - the State Legislative Leadership Conference. I have never been there before and it was a great experience to take the students too. We were also fortunate enough to not only tour the capital with our legislator, but to also have lunch with her and be introduced on the senate floor.















One of our students went to SLLC as a second year scholar and participated in reflections on Sunday night with the other second year scholars. We and our students also participated in community service at Mission City in Harrisburg - our students learned the value of things we have here and the simple things people need when disaster strikes.
We completed various jobs at our community service location including, cleaning up outside, packing buckets, and cleaning up inside.
McKenzie, MacKenzie, and Jac (we only take girls named "Kenzie" on trips)














We were closed on Wednesday of this week because of the snow storm (which we were stuck in coming back from Harrisburg). Thursday brought a day where students were able to finish work that was either not given to them by the sub, or more complex than I thought to finish in the allotted amount of time.

Thursday evening, I stayed at the school for the first time late. I was off Friday for our professional development, going to complete some requirements for a substitute teaching position tomorrow (Monday), and I am planning on attending the Ag Mechanics CDE on Tuesday at McGuffey. Therefore, I am missing 3 days in a row (ah!). I stayed to make sure I had everything in order for the week for Mrs. Hoover.

Overall this week has went really well - it was long because of the travel and snow day, but short because I was only in the classroom for 1 day, and almost all the classes worked all day.

I can't believe how much this experience is winding down. Less than a month to go. I am enjoying it so much - so much learning. I could not imagine teaching without this and I am so grateful to have Mrs. Hoover as a teacher, mentor, and friend.





Students at SLLC locked arms to "Thinking Out Loud" #peoplefallinloveinmysteriousways

Senator Camera Bartolotta not only set up a tour for the Fort Cherry and McGuffey students, but also ordered us lunch and introduced us on the Senate floor. 




Students reflected on the beauty of the Capitol building in Harrisburg. 


No comments:

Post a Comment