Saturday, April 14, 2018

Week 14: Wrapping things up with a CBU



This week went by so fast! - So has the semester, I can't believe we only have one week left!!

This week I wrapped up some classes - including Intro to Ag, Animal Science, and Vet Science. It is so hard to believe! I, however, was able to get to one unit in each animal science and vet science. I didn't start them this week because Mrs. Hoover wants to start something else with them than what I would be in the middle of, so it made sense for her to start next week.

Floral Design is right in the middle of their Community Based Unit (CBU). Last week, they had a guest speaker from the Washington County Master Gardeners come talk to them about raised garden beds. This week the class worked together to create an activity and presentation about raised garden beds for a 4th grade science class at the elementary school. It went really well! It was heartwarming to hear comments around the room such as, "Can we do this every year?!" and "Don't we need worms to aerate the soil Mr. Kramer?". Mr. Kramer is their teacher and the FC Floral Design class taught the students about raised garden beds and then the elementary students each made their own - we pre-made "raised garden beds" out of pop-sickle sticks and they were able to fill them and plant a marigold.

My students have also measured and laid out the plan for the raised garden beds on a map that is to scale and next week, we are going to place the beds and put them out where planned. They will mostly likely have to plant in them after I leave. This has been such a great activity to end on with that class.











Horticulture is knee deep in Integrated Pest Management - which we will still be working on next week. Pieces seem to be falling into place as planned!

This week, my students also went to the Area speaking competition. They placed first in Parliamentary Procedure and Extemporaneous. They also are moving on in Creed (2nd place) and Jr. Prepared (2nd and 3rd place). So proud of these students and I know they will do great as they move on to Regionals on the 25th!



Also, on Thursday I went to visit Halee at Derry Area High School! Such a great program and I was glad to see their facilities and learn more about their program. Please see some pictures in my blog about her visit!

On a great note, almost all of my Penn State Assignments are done! I am hoping to have them finished before the end of the week as well - so I can relax next weekend - Happy Birthday to me!






















1 comment:

  1. Karlie, I LOVE the project that your did for your CBU and it was such a great way to get younger students connected to your program. Congrats on your students doing well at the competition and use that momentum to help you finish on a high note!

    ReplyDelete